Lidia bastianich’s lamb ragu recipe is a hearty and flavorful dish that is perfect for colder weather. This recipe includes lamb shoulder, vegetables, tomato sauce, and red wine that combine to create a rich and savory ragu that pairs perfectly with pasta or polenta.
Starting with a sofrito of onion, celery, and carrot, the lamb and other ingredients are added and simmered until the meat is tender and the flavors have melded together. This recipe is a perfect example of lidia’s dedication to traditional italian cooking and is sure to become a family favorite.
Whether you are an experienced home cook or trying your hand at italian cuisine for the first time, this recipe is a must-try.
List Of All The Ingredients Required To Make The Lamb Ragu Recipe
If you’re looking to impress your guests with a delicious and hearty meal, then lidia bastianich’s lamb ragu recipe is a must-try! Here’s a list of all the ingredients you’ll need to make this flavorful dish:
- 2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- 1/4 cup freshly grated pecorino romano cheese, plus extra for serving
Details About Where To Buy Ingredients And Any Potential Substitutions
Most of the ingredients needed for this recipe can be found at your local grocery store. However, if you’re having trouble finding lamb shoulder, you can try substituting it with lamb leg or even ground lamb. You can also use beef chuck if you prefer.
For the wine, it’s recommended to use a dry red wine such as chianti or cabernet sauvignon. If you don’t want to use alcohol, you can substitute it with an equal amount of beef or chicken stock.
As for the pecorino romano cheese, if it’s not available, you can use parmesan cheese instead. The rigatoni pasta can also be substituted with any other hollow pasta shape such as penne or ziti.
Remember, the key to a great dish is using fresh and high-quality ingredients. So, make sure to buy the best ingredients you can find to take this recipe to the next level!
Lamb ragu is an italian dish that can be enjoyed all year round. For those who want to try this delicious dish, lidia bastianich’s lamb ragu recipe is a must-try. In this section, we will be discussing the cooking process for making lamb ragu, along with step-by-step instructions and estimated cooking times.
We will also share some tips and tricks for ensuring a successful outcome.
Step-By-Step Instructions On How To Make The Lamb Ragu Recipe, Including Estimated Cooking Times
To make lamb ragu, the following step-by-step instructions should be followed:
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 pound of ground lamb and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook until the lamb is browned, stirring frequently, for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of finely chopped onion, ¾ cup of finely chopped carrot, and ¾ cup of finely chopped celery to the pot and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and slightly browned.
- Add 2 teaspoons of chopped rosemary and 2 teaspoons of chopped thyme to the pot. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Pour in 1 cup of red wine and bring to a boil. Cook until the wine has reduced by half, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of canned italian plum tomatoes and their juices, crushing the tomatoes with your hands or a spoon. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover the pot with a lid and simmer over low heat for 1 hour and 30 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Serve over pasta with grated parmesan cheese, if desired.
Tips And Tricks For Ensuring A Successful Outcome
To make the best lamb ragu, consider the following tips and tricks:
- Don’t skimp on the ingredients. High-quality ground lamb and canned italian plum tomatoes are essential for a flavorful ragu.
- Brown the lamb well. Browning the lamb helps to release its flavorful juices into the ragu, making it rich and delicious.
- Use fresh herbs. Fresh rosemary and thyme can make all the difference in the taste of your ragu.
- Use a heavy bottomed-pot. A pot with a heavy bottom will help prevent burning and sticking.
- Cook the ragu low and slow. Simmering the ragu slowly over a low heat will allow the flavors to develop and intensify, resulting in a more delicious dish.
- Crush the tomatoes by hand. Crushing the canned tomatoes by hand will create a more rustic texture and allow the flavors to be released.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Grated parmesan cheese adds another level of flavor and creaminess to the dish.
By following these tips and tricks, and sticking to the step-by-step instructions mentioned above, you can create a delicious lamb ragu that can be enjoyed by all.
Lamb ragu is a classic italian dish that can be served with a variety of sides. If you’re looking for some ideas on how to present your lamb ragu, look no further. Here are some creative serving suggestions for your lidia bastianich lamb ragu recipe.
Ideas For What To Serve With The Lamb Ragu, Such As Pasta Or Polenta
- Pasta is a classic italian meal and perfect for pairing with lamb ragu. Choose a pasta that will hold up to the hearty sauce, such as rigatoni, fusilli, or pappardelle.
- Polenta is another great option to serve with lamb ragu. This dish is a staple in northern italy and can be served creamy or firm. Whichever way you choose, make sure to add some grated parmesan or pecorino cheese on top.
- If you’re looking for a lighter option, roasted or grilled vegetables such as zucchini, eggplant, and bell peppers are a tasty addition to the dish.
- A simple side salad with a light vinaigrette is a perfect way to balance out the rich flavors of the lamb ragu.
How To Properly Plate And Garnish The Dish For Presentation
- Crusty bread and a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley on top of the lamb ragu is not only aesthetically pleasing but also adds texture to the dish.
- For a rustic presentation, serve the lamb ragu on a big platter in the center of the table with the sides arranged around it.
- Another option is to plate the lamb ragu individually, using a ring mold to create a neat and tidy presentation. Add a sprinkle of chopped fresh herbs or grated cheese on top for added flavor.
- Finally, if you’re planning on serving the lamb ragu at a dinner party or special occasion, consider pairing it with a full-bodied red wine such as chianti classico or barolo.
Overall, lamb ragu is a delicious italian meal that can be presented in a variety of ways. Consider these serving suggestions and presentation tips to elevate your lidia bastianich lamb ragu recipe and impress your guests.
Variations And Adaptations
Lamb ragu is a classic italian dish that can be a perfect meal for a family dinner or a special occasion. However, did you know that it’s possible to give your lamb ragu recipe a twist by making some variations and adaptations?
Let’s dive in and discover how!
Suggestions For Variations On The Lamb Ragu Recipe
If you’re tired of lamb or want to try something different, here are some variations you can make to your lamb ragu recipe:
- Replace lamb with beef: If you want a richer and more tender ragu, you can substitute lamb with beef chuck roast or ground beef. The cooking time will be the same, but the beef will provide a different texture and taste.
- Substitute lamb with pork: For a sweeter taste, you can try using pork shoulder instead of lamb. The pork will need a longer cooking time than lamb, but it will make the sauce creamier and thicker.
- Add vegetables: To make your lamb ragu healthier, try adding some vegetables like carrots, celery, and zucchini. They will add some color and texture to the dish, and you’ll have a complete meal.
How To Adapt The Recipe For Different Dietary Restrictions
If you or someone you’re cooking for has dietary restrictions, here are some tips on how to adapt your lamb ragu recipe:
- Make it gluten-free: Substitute the regular pasta with gluten-free pasta. You can find a variety of gluten-free pasta at any grocery store these days. Also, double-check the ingredients in the canned tomatoes and tomato paste to make sure they don’t contain any gluten.
- Make it dairy-free: Replace butter with olive oil and use a dairy-free cheese alternative like nutritional yeast instead of grated parmesan cheese. You can also use coconut or soy milk instead of heavy cream to make the sauce creamy.
These variations and adaptations can help you customize your lamb ragu recipe according to your taste preferences and dietary restrictions. Give them a try, and you might be surprised at how delicious they can be!
Frequently Asked Questions Of Lidia Bastianich Lamb Ragu Recipe
What Is Lamb Ragu?
Lamb ragu is a classic italian meat sauce made from slowly cooked lamb, aromatic vegetables, and tomatoes. It’s traditionally served with pasta, but can also be used as a topping for polenta or mashed potatoes.
What Makes Lidia Bastianich’S Lamb Ragu Different?
Lidia bastianich’s lamb ragu recipe is different because it uses lamb shoulder instead of ground meat, giving the sauce a richer, more complex flavor. Her recipe also includes a blend of spices and red wine for added depth.
How Long Does It Take To Make Lamb Ragu?
Lamb ragu is a slow-cooked dish that can take several hours to prepare. Lidia bastianich’s recipe suggests simmering the sauce for 2-3 hours, but the longer it cooks, the more flavorful it will become.
Can I Make Lamb Ragu Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can make lamb ragu ahead of time and reheat it when ready to serve. The flavors will actually meld and improve with time. Simply store the sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to use.
What Are Some Serving Suggestions For Lamb Ragu?
Lamb ragu is traditionally served with pasta, such as pappardelle or tagliatelle. It can also be served with polenta or mashed potatoes. And don’t forget the grated parmesan cheese on top!
Looking to level up your italian cooking skills? Look no further than lidia bastianich’s lamb ragu recipe. In this post, we delved into the savory and satisfying world of slow-simmered ragu, exploring the flavors that make lidia’s version truly stand out.
From the succulent lamb to the fragrant rosemary and hearty tomato sauce, this dish has everything you need to impress your dinner guests and transport your taste buds to tuscany. Plus, with tips from lidia herself, you’ll be well on your way to mastering the art of italian cuisine.
So why wait? Give this recipe a try and savor the mouthwatering results. Mangia!