The texas hash betty crocker recipe is a crowd-pleasing, one-pot meal with ground beef, rice, tomatoes, and spices. To make this classic dish, brown the beef, cook the rice, and mix in the remaining ingredients.
Serve hot and enjoy. If you’re looking for a filling and flavorful dinner that’s easy to make, texas hash is the perfect option. This hearty dish is perfect for a busy weeknight meal or a casual dinner with friends and family.
The recipe requires few ingredients and can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Plus, with just one pot and minimal cleanup, it’s a breeze to prepare. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the texas hash betty crocker recipe and dive into the details of how to make this delicious dish.
Understanding Texas Hash
Texas hash is a hearty and delicious meal that’s perfect for dinner. This dish has been around since the 19th century and originated in texas. Understanding texas hash is important to appreciate this dish and how it came about.
Overview Of Texas Hash
Texas hash is a flavorful and filling dish that uses simple ingredients such as ground beef, onions, peppers and rice. It is usually seasoned with chili powder and worcestershire sauce, which gives it a distinct depth of flavor. This one-pot meal is incredibly easy to make, and it is perfect for a weeknight dinner or for a crowd.
What Is Texas Hash?
Texas hash is a one-pot meal that is typically made with ground beef, onions, peppers, tomatoes, and rice. It is a meal that started off as a necessity but quickly became a popular dish because of its delicious taste. The dish originated in the 19th century when livestock was abundant, and families had to find creative ways to use all the leftover meat scraps.
The ingredients were cooked together in a single pot, making it easy to feed a crowd.
Why Texas Hash Is Perfect For Dinner?
Texas hash is perfect for dinner because it is a hearty, flavorful and comforting meal that everyone loves. Here are a few reasons why texas hash is perfect for dinner:
- One-pot meal: Texas hash is a one-pot meal, which means there’s only one dish to clean up after dinner.
- Easy to make: Texas hash is easy to make and can be ready in under an hour.
- Filling: Texas hash is a filling meal that will keep you feeling satisfied for hours.
- Affordable: Texas hash is an affordable meal that uses simple ingredients that are easy to find at any grocery store.
Texas hash is a dish that has been around for generations, and it continues to be a favorite today. With its simple ingredients and delicious taste, it’s no wonder why this dish has stood the test of time.
The Ingredients You Need
Texas hash is a classic southern comfort food that is perfect for a cozy night in. If you love one-pot meals, then this recipe is an absolute must-try. The ingredient list is simple but versatile, making it easy to cater to your preferences and dietary requirements.
Before starting, make sure you have the necessary ingredients ready for cooking.
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 cups of diced potatoes
- 1 diced onion
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- 1 diced red or yellow bell pepper
- 2 cups of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
There are a few different options when it comes to choosing your meat for texas hash, so pick the one that you like best or that fits your dietary requirements.
- Ground beef is the classic choice that provides a classic, hearty flavor.
- Ground turkey is a lighter option with less fat, but still packed with flavor.
Vegetables That Work Well In Texas Hash
Texas hash is a flexible recipe, so don’t be afraid to play around with different vegetables. Here are some great suggestions:
- Diced potatoes form the foundation of this recipe and add a starchy texture.
- Diced onion adds a slightly sweet flavor that pairs well with the other bold ingredients.
- Green bell pepper adds a slightly bitter and herbaceous flavor, which helps balance the sweetness of the onion.
- Red or yellow bell pepper adds a sweet, fruity flavor and some color to the recipe.
- Diced tomatoes add a juicy and slightly acidic flavor that compliments the other ingredients well.
Spices And Herbs To Use
The combination of spices and herbs used in texas hash adds a depth and complexity of flavor that makes this dish stand out. Here are the spices and herbs to use:
- Chili powder adds heat and smokiness.
- Garlic powder adds an earthy flavor and is used to enhance the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Salt and pepper should be used sparingly to let the other flavors shine.
- Tomato paste adds a concentrated umami flavor, which helps to round out and balance the other flavors.
Now that you have all the essential ingredients, it’s time to start cooking your texas hash. This recipe is sure to become a favorite in your household, and you can feel good about serving up a hearty and delicious meal that’s easy to make.
Betty Crocker Recipe For Texas Hash
If you’re looking for a new way to enjoy ground beef, texas hash is a satisfying and tasty option. This one-pot meal is a classic recipe from betty crocker, and it’s perfect on a cold day or anytime you want a hearty meal.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to preparing this dish.
Preparing The Ingredients
Before starting, make sure you have all the ingredients you need. Here’s a list of the essential items you’ll need:
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 2 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of kidney beans
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
Cooking The Meat
- Heat a large skillet over high heat.
- Add the ground beef and cook, breaking it into small pieces, until it’s browned and fully cooked. Drain it and set it aside.
Mixing Vegetables And Spices
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes.
- Dice the onion and green bell pepper.
- In the same skillet, add the diced potatoes, onion, and bell pepper and cook them until they’re tender.
- Add the chili powder, salt, and pepper and stir until everything is combined.
Combining All The Ingredients To Make Texas Hash
- Return the cooked ground beef to the skillet.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes (undrained) and the can of kidney beans (drained and rinsed).
- Mix everything together and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until it’s hot and bubbly.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
This betty crocker recipe for texas hash is a delicious and easy dinner option that can be made in just one skillet. It’s a great way to get your protein and vegetables in one dish, and it’s perfect for a quick weeknight meal.
Give it a try and see how it becomes a family favorite!
Tips To Make A Perfect Texas Hash
Texas hash betty crocker recipe is an all-in-one dish that has become famous in texas for its consistency in taste and flavor. The dish combines ground beef, potatoes, vegetables, and spices in a skillet and is perfect for a hearty breakfast or a quick dinner.
To ensure you get the perfect texas hash, follow these tips.
How To Avoid Overcooking The Vegetables
- Make sure to chop your vegetables uniformly, so they cook evenly.
- Don’t add all the vegetables at the same time. Start with onions because they take the longest to cook, add bell peppers, and then add tomatoes towards the end.
- Cook vegetables over medium heat to avoid browning them.
Getting The Right Meat Consistency
- Use lean ground beef to avoid excess oil in the dish.
- Be sure to brown the meat correctly before adding it to the skillet. Do not overcrowd the skillet while cooking the meat.
- Drain off the excess oil after cooking the meat to avoid a greasy texture to the dish.
Choosing The Right Spices And Herbs
- Paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin are essential spices to add to your texas hash dish.
- Use fresh herbs like thyme, coriander, and parsley to add flavor and freshness.
- Sprinkle the cumin and chili powder to the dish towards the end, so the spices don’t burn out.
With these tips, you can make the perfect texas hash dish for your family and friends. Remember to experiment with different ingredients and spices to find your version of this classic recipe.
Serving And Storing Texas Hash
Texas hash, also known as beef and rice, is a delicious and easy-to-make recipe that is perfect for busy weeknights. It’s a one-pan meal that requires minimal prep time, making it an ideal dish for quick and effortless cooking. In this section, we’ll explore the best ways to serve and store texas hash.
How To Serve Texas Hash
When it comes to serving texas hash, there’s no wrong way to enjoy it. However, here are a few tips on how to serve this delicious dish:
- Scoop it onto plates and serve it on its own for a hearty and filling meal.
- Add a side salad for a fresh and healthy twist.
- Serve it with some crusty bread or rolls for a complete dinner experience.
- Top it with some shredded cheese, chopped parsley, or sour cream for added flavor and texture.
Best Side Dishes To Serve With Texas Hash
Texas hash already has a perfect balance of protein, carbs, and veggies, but if you’re looking for some side dishes to complement this dish, consider the following:
- Garlic bread: This simple bread recipe takes only minutes to prepare and pairs perfectly with the beef flavor of the texas hash.
- Mashed potatoes: Soft, fluffy mashed potatoes bring out the best in every single bite of the beef and rice.
- Green salad: A crisp and refreshing green salad will add color and nutrition to your meal, as well as a complementary flavor.
- Steamed vegetables: Steamed veggies like carrots, broccoli, or green beans add a layer of texture and nutrition to the meal.
How To Store Leftovers
If you have leftovers, it’s essential to store them properly to maintain their freshness and flavor. Here’s how:
- Let it cool down to room temperature before storing it in an airtight container.
- Label the container with the date you made it so you know when it’s time to use it up.
- Store the container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- To reheat, microwave it on medium heat with a splash of water or beef stock, or in the oven at 350°f for 20-25 minutes.
Texas hash is a versatile and delicious recipe that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with some side dishes. Don’t forget to store your leftovers properly to extend the shelf life and maintain the great quality of the dish.
Frequently Asked Questions On Texas Hash Betty Crocker Recipe
What Is Texas Hash?
Texas hash is a one-pan recipe that consists of ground beef, onions, bell peppers, diced tomatoes, and rice, all cooked together in a single skillet. It is a hearty and comforting dish that is easy to make and perfect for a weeknight meal.
How Do You Make Texas Hash?
To make texas hash, brown ground beef in a skillet with onions and bell peppers, then add diced tomatoes and rice. Cover the skillet and simmer until the rice is tender and fully cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with chopped parsley.
Can I Substitute The Ground Beef?
Yes, you can substitute the ground beef for ground turkey or chicken. You could also use a plant-based ground meat substitute if you prefer a vegetarian or vegan option. The flavors and texture of the dish may be slightly different, but it will still be delicious.
How Do I Store Texas Hash?
Allow the texas hash to cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, simply microwave it or heat it up on the stovetop with a splash of water or broth to prevent it from drying out.
Can I Freeze Texas Hash?
Yes, you can freeze texas hash. Allow it to cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, transfer to the refrigerator overnight, then reheat as desired.
After trying out this texas hash betty crocker recipe, it’s clear that it’s a crowd-pleaser. From start to finish, it only takes 45 minutes to make and requires basic ingredients that most households already have on hand. The hearty combination of ground beef, rice, and tomatoes create a comforting meal that can be enjoyed any time of the year.
What’s great about this meal is how easily adaptable it is – you could add your favorite vegetables, swap out the beef for turkey or chicken, or even make it vegetarian by omitting the meat altogether. Overall, this texas hash betty crocker recipe is a great addition to your meal planning rotation, and is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
So give it a try and see for yourself!